IMPORTANCE OF GOOD EATING HABITS IN YOGA
IMPORTANCE OF GOOD EATING HABITS IN YOGA
In yoga, not only is the selection of food important but its preparation is also very important.
While eating, the most important thing is the way of eating and most important is the state of our mind at that time because the better the food and drink is, the better the state of mind is. So, it very essential to learn the importance of good eating habits in yoga.
Most people pay attention to the quality of food and drink but forget to pay attention to the state of mind while eating.
According to the belief of yoga, mind and food are connected to each other, so whatever we eat has a direct effect on our mind, brain and body. That is why it is necessary to calm the mind while eating food. If we eat food while remaining silent and happy then the quality of food increases further. It is also very important to take the right amount with the right choice of food, because taking more or less quantity causes harm to the body, taking less quantity of food does not provide complete nutrition to the body and the lack of energy remains constant. Eating more food has its opposite effect on our body, due to which we have to face many diseases related to stomach. Such as gas indigestion etc.
The mind remains restless; laziness comes from which it does not want to do any work.
According to our scriptures, it has also been told that food should be consumed with the right mindset at the right time with the right amount and quantity. So, it is very essential to understand the importance of good eating habits in yoga.
As per Yogic concept there are three basic types of energy:
- Rajas : Rajas is fiery energy or agitation which in its most negative form manifests as anger.
- Tamas : Tamas is inertia and in its most negative form manifests as laziness and lethargy.
- Sattvas : Related to lightness harmony and peacefulness.
Again, as per yoga all three Rajas, Tamas, Sattvas can be seen in every aspect of the material world, our body, mind and thoughts (feelings).
As per yoga food has been divided into three parts.
Rajasic Food : Some food items such as meat, spicy foods, caffeine (coffee, tea) refined sugar and garlic.
Tamasic Food : Fried food, fermented food, fatty food , fish, eggs, reheated food, frozen food, onion , overcooked food and alcohol etc.
Sattvic Food : Lightly cooked food , raw vegetables and fresh fruits, legumes, whole grains and raw milk.
Rajasic and Tamasic foods are less than ideal fuel sources, this type of food items provide very little amount of energy.
Eating Rajasic and Tamasic diets, along with being expensive, also bring laziness in our body. Rajasic and Tamasic food items are difficult to obtain.
Unlike them, Sattvik food gives us good nutrition and also keeps our mind calm and clear. Keeping the mind calm brings positive thoughts in the mind.
It is also very easy to make Sattvik food.
Tamasic and Rajasic food is expensive, while Sattvic food can be bought with less money.
Sattvic food is easy to digest because of this, there is no laziness in the body and a new energy is infused. The mind and body feel lighter and due to this we can work with full energy.
By eating Sattvik food, both our mind and our body are purified which helps us in doing proper yoga.
In other words, the more we choose Sattvic food, the more we support not just our physical and emotional health, but also our sense of connection with the world.
SOME IMPORTANT THINGS THAT WE SHOULD KEEP IN MIND WHILE EATING FOOD
- Nutritious and pure food is the basis of our life, so we should choose food items thoughtfully as well as carefully.
- Food should always be eaten fresh, it should be eaten within 2 to 3 hours of cooking.
- While choosing food items, we should take care of all kinds of nutrients, so that our body can get all the necessary elements in the right amount of proportions of protein, iron, calcium, magnesium, mineral fibre, fat etc.
- Along with green leafy vegetables and fresh fruits, we should also give importance to sprouts, which gives us the necessary fibre-rich nutrients.
- In yoga there is also a provision of individual diet according to the nature of our body because the same food item may be favorable for one person and unfavorable for another.
Therefore, all these things should be kept in mind while buying food items.
It is also mandatory to take care of cleanliness.
Because the mind and the food are related to each other, it is very important to be happy while preparing and eating food.