Kati Chakra asana is made up of the two words i.e. Kati means waist and Chakra means wheel. Katichakrasana (Lumber Twist Posture) is a waist rotating asana. In this asana, one has to twist the waist from right to left side. While doing this asana, the waist moves like a wheel.
- Stand firmly on the mat with feet 12 inches apart.
- Both arms should be out stretched in front of the chest while palms should be facing to each other.
- The distance between the arms and shoulders should remain constant.
- Exhale and swing the arms slowly towards the Left side of your body.
- Twist your body from the waist and maintain the pose as long as you can.
- While swinging towards left side, left arm should be kept straight and right arm should be bent.
- Repeat this practice on the right side.
- Perform this practice 5 to 10 times for at least 2 to 4 minutes.
Benefits of Katichakrasana
- Regular practice of this asana helps the waist to become supple and slim.
- This is a very good practice for burning the fat of the lower abdomen region.
- It is very helpful to improve the flexibility of the spine and very helpful for curing spine injuries and disorders.
- By practising this yoga asana regularly, the muscles of the neck, back and abdominal wall contract and expand.
- This yoga asana gives a smooth massage to the entire vertebral column.
- It relieves constipation. Regular practice of this asana improves digestion and smooths the proper bowel movements.
- Regular practice of Katichakrasana is very helpful for respiratory diseases and it also strengthens the lungs.
- It is good to combat problems Like Asthma, cough, breathlessness, tuberculosis etc.
- The twisting and compressing help the person to breathe in a better way thus, it is good for asthmatic conditions.
- Performing Katichakrasana regularly strengthens the shoulders, back, neck and thigh muscles.
- Katichakrasana is very beneficial for sedentary peoples such as those who sit in the same position for many hours.
- It helps to release frozen shoulder problems and muscular stiffness caused due to Parkinson and Alzheimer disease.
- It helps to control diabetes. Regular practice of this asana improves the efficiency of pancreas and regulates the production of pancreatic juice.
- Regular practice of this asana improves Kidneys’ efficiency.
- Regular practice of this asana releases pranic energy (life saving energy) which acts as a good mood elevator and fights depression and negative thoughts.
- Performing twisting asana regularly affects the abdomen muscles and stimulates the Manipur Chakra.
- This asana is very helpful for women related problems like problems in the uterus and Fallopian tubes.
- This asana is very helpful for people who work in offices and school going children therefore this asana is also known as office yoga or children yoga.
- Pregnancy women should avoid doing this asana.
- Those who are suffering from chronic diseases, hernia, slip disc, spinal injuries and cervical Spondylitis should avoid doing this asana.
- Those who have undergone abdominal surgery recently should avoid doing this asana.
- People who have suffered from hypertension should be cautions while practicing Katichakrasana because there are chances that this practice might cause dizziness and can result in the person fainting.
- In case of any surgery, practice this yoga only with the advice of doctor.
- If a person has undergone any surgery/surgeries then, he/she should practice this asana only in the presence of a yoga instructor and that too after 10 to 12 months.