Tada means palm tree or like a mountain.
Tadasana teaches one to attain firmness and stability.
The final position of the body looks like palm tree or a mountain.
This asana can be done in two ways by keeping both feet together or by giving a gap of 2 inches between both legs. People who have difficulty in keeping the feet together such as aged peoples or obese people can keep a gap of 2 to 3 inches.
- Stand straight on the ground with feet together.
- Now inhale deeply and interlock the fingers, turn the wrist outward and raise the arms upward the head. Raise the heels and balance on the toes for 10 to 30 seconds.
- After that put the heels down.
- Exhale slowly and release the interlock of the fingers and bring the arms down along with the body.
- Relax for a while in standing position and repeat again.
- This posture should be repeated two to four times for greater benefit.
Benefits of Tadasana
- This asana helps in increasing the height of growing children.
- This posture brings stability to the body.
- Sciatica patients greatly benefit from Tadasana.
- It helps to improve the condition of the spinal nerves and corrects faulty postures.
- Tadasana strengthens the toes.
- It strengthens the muscles and veins.
- This asana provides great relief in back pain.
- By doing Tadasana properly, people can get rid of many problems such as swelling, pain, numbness of the feet, burning sensation and feeling of tingling etc.
- This posture is also very helpful in teaching the art of walking; the effect can be overcome by those who have any problem related to walking.
- Continuation of this asana increases concentration.
- Doing this asana also helps in reducing weight.
- By doing this asana, the entire body gets stretched, which reduces the extra fat from the body parts and gives the body a beautiful shape.
- Avoid lifting the heels in case of varicose veins.
- Avoid lifting the heels in case of acute cardiac problems.
- Avoid lifting the heels in case of vertigo.
- During pregnancy, women should do this asana in the expert’s supervision.
- People with problems such as high blood pressure and low blood pressure should avoid doing this asana.
- People having acute pain in their knees should avoid doing this asana.